Game Designer- Playsport
Playsport Games is looking for a Game Designer to join our friendly Games Studio based in Guildford.
This is a fantastic opportunity to develop your free-to-play design career in mobile: help bring new titles to market, and work on highly successful live games at a leading mobile studio!
This is a full-time, permanent position, so please only apply if you have the right to work in the UK.
Your primary responsibilities will include:
● Design gameplay experiences and game features that deliver strong player engagement, retention, and monetisation.
● Create game content to delight players, and design and balance in-game economies to maximise game performance.
● Write, review and give feedback on game/feature design documents, builds, and plans.
● Participate as a key member of the production team across the product life-cycle, working not just on early game concepts and prototypes, but also games in production, and live titles, proposing high-impact updates to our existing portfolio of games.
● Analyse and communicate in-game economy trends using data insights and A/B testing campaigns
● Work alongside our Data Analytics team to create testing strategies.
● Support the team with subject-matter expertise on mobile & social game design
Skills & Experience
We are looking for a social, hard-working person who enjoys working in a team and is passionate about games, and mobile free-to-play. The ideal candidate will be articulate, energetic, with the following attributes:
● Experience designing multiple successful free-to-play published titles, preferably on mobile.
● Experience across the product life-cycle, from initial concept & prototyping through to updating and optimising a live free-to-play game.
● Good knowledge of the mobile & social game space, and solid grasp of current design techniques to deliver excellent engagement, retention, and monetisation.
● Highly numerate, with a solid mathematical background, and ability to design virtual currencies and manage in-game economies.
● Strong grasp of mobile user-experience design, and ability to consider & empathise with many different types of players.
● Creative problem solver, with proven ability to create compelling gameplay.
● Relentlessly self-critical: always sees the pros and cons of each approach, and works tirelessly to improve design solutions. Prolific with high quality, well-thought-through proposals.
● Able to balance between innovation and setting reasonable goals.
● Drive, initiative and ability to self-manage and prioritise effectively.
● Highly organised, with ability to prioritise appropriately to deliver to tight deadlines.
● Great collaborator, with superb written and oral communication skills.
Who we are
Playsport Games is a supportive and friendly games studio based in Guildford, where everyone plays a full and active role in developing top quality games!
We’re the creator of Motorsport Manager, a #1 game on the App Store and a top rated game on Steam.
We’re a passionate and hardworking team with a single aim: making top quality sports games.
As a small team, Playsport is a perfect place for talented developers. We’re looking for people who are excited to get close to the action and want to be deeply involved in the development of a quality game.
We’ve just moved into brand new custom built studio space in the heart of Guildford. It’s posh and there are plenty of nice pubs nearby.
● 25 days paid annual leave plus bank holidays
● Hybrid Working
● Regular outings, games/pub evenings and ad hoc socials
● Endless supplies of tasty snacks (varying degrees of healthiness)
● Daily trailblazing with a humble, hardworking team of good humans
● Private Medical Insurance
● Cash Plan
● Dental Insurance
● Critical Illness Cover
● Cycle to Work Scheme
● Bright, comfy studio space in the heart of Guildford, the geekily glamorous Hollywood of games, just half an hour by train from central London
There are also plenty of other benefits from working for Playsport! We firmly believe that a creative and professional working environment should also be fun. We always have fridges stocked with complimentary drinks, regular deliveries of fresh fruit and snacks for all staff. Along with regular staff outings.
Before you apply, please keep in mind that this role is a full-time, permanent position based at our office in Guildford, UK, and you must be eligible to work in the UK.